Tuesday 5 April 2011

This morning my mother told me that I am to marry Paris. He is self-centered and rich apparently. I want to marry for love if I am even to marry at all! It is an honour I wish not for, as I told my nurse. And then, even worse, he was to attend the party that my father was throwing tonight. And he did! But that is not what stands out to me for that evening; I met a boy at the party. I did not know it at the time but he is a Montague. I thought that I had found love and now that is to be taken from me. Maybe not love, but he kissed by the book. It doesn't matter anyway, I am not going to marry Paris and I shall maybe die alone. Mother says she married young, but in this day, I do not believe I have to. Maybe I can get to know Romeo better. Oh yes, that was his name, by the way. Romeo Montague. I hear only that the Montagues are violent and they cause riot among the Capulets, even in the streets, in the middle of the day. I just hope that Romeo is not that way. If I found love in him, a Montague, although it would outrage my father and mother, I would refuse that Capulet part of me. Or perhaps these are the thoughts of a young girl who thinks she is in love. Perhaps the very fact that he and I stand on opposite sides of a wall that is our families' feud is what shall prevent us from ever learning any more about each other, and of what we could have together. Anyway, the party is over now and I was about to draw a bath for myself. Perhaps tommorow will bring the pleasantries it has brought me today, excluding the sores that it has brought me in addition.

1 comment: